Sunday, April 24, 2011

Well, hello there..

So, I've had this "blog" set up for awhile now (read: over a year) and could never really commit to writing often enough to have a blog. Well friends, this is it. I'm getting the itch to start a new activity and I really want to try this whole thing out.

I guess this should be somewhat of a introductory post. Here goes nothing..

My name is Melissa and I'm a 24 yr old southerner that made "The Great Move" from Atlanta, GA to a small town in Alaska. I graduated in May 2010 with a dual degree in ECE and Sp. Ed. and moved up here to find more teaching opportunities. I moved with my partner of 6.5yrs (We aren't married but I HATE saying boyfriend all the time and we are committed so it's a done deal) and our 4 yr old basset hound, Penelope James.



Our little family at Dog Island, Fl June 2010



We moved in the middle of the summer and throughly enjoyed all of the summer activities AK had to offer around us...




blueberry picking while on a hike...




biking...




running...




enjoying live music outside...




becoming volunteer DJs at the local radio station...




and general exploring.

The winter came around and it just made for different outdoor activities...


Penelope's walks turned a little cold...



skiing...




enjoying live music INdoors...


and now spring is here and I'm ready to get back outside for some warmer activities. This has been an exciting year and am really excited about what is in store for me! I'll document all of the craziness here and welcome comments and suggestions about the blog.

I want this to be a place where good wholesome food is eaten while enjoying this beautiful planet we live on. This is a blog that follows a health conscious 20-something Georgia peach navigate life in Alaska.

Peace.

2 comments:

Megan said...

This was my first visit to your blog....and perfect timing! I came to your blog from your comment on fitting back in about green smoothies.

Ahh, I could NOT handle Alaska winters, but it sounds like you and your partner are really enjoying life there :)

Lee said...

That's really cool that you moved to Alaska!

Post a Comment