Friday, May 27, 2011

Flashback Friday - Pillboxes Hike

Well, it's been 2 weeks since we've arrived back home from our little Hawaiian adventure and what better topic to make a "Flashback Friday" post?

We went to Oahu and stayed for 10 glorious days. We stayed at the Outrigger Reef on Waikiki Beach and decided to rent a car 8/10 days to get away from the touristy parts of the beach.


Outrigger Reef's Pool area

One of the trips in the car was to the area of Kailua Beach.. more specifically Lanikai Beach on Oahu's windward coast.

We took a couple of day trips to both beaches and decided to take a hike up to the Pillboxes. The Pillboxes are 2 cinder block structures that were built after the bombing of Pearl Harbor on top of two peaks in the Lanikai area. The strategic placement allowed for our armed forces to see any on coming vessels that might want to strike the coast again.

We set out for the hike and had no idea what views would be waiting for us.

The hike wasn't bad at all. It actually seemed more difficult to get down than climb up because of the steepness.


One of the steeper parts


Can you see me?



We arrived at the first and it was awesome. (windy but awesome.)






Sitting atop a Pillbox


There is an open entry way that you can climb down and actually go inside the Pillbox. Of course, we had to see what it was like inside.

The "entry way"


Apparently this was a great place for eating junk food and tagging.


Mokulua (The twin Islands) from inside one of the Pillboxes




When hiking, you realize how many trails there are in the area. We hung out at the first "Pillbox" for a few and decided to continue on to the other one.

The view of the first "Pillbox" from the second one.


It was so windy! Much harder than it looks.


After seeing both Pillboxes, we decided to wonder around some more trails.

Yeah, he's with me.







After a day of hiking and exploring I was ravenous...

This subway veggie didn't have a chance.


Random snapshot of the day:

Who the hell is buying a gallon of milk for $10.59?!?
_________________________________________________________

And that my friends, is my first installment of Flashback Friday! I'm itching for another travel adventure. The mister and I are looking into road trips around Alaska for the summer so it should be interesting.

What are the things you enjoy most about vacations?-- would you rather relax by the pool with a book or go hiking, kayaking, etc. (I'm both. I like long vacations so I have time to do both :) )
What is the most ridiculously overpriced item you've ever bought on vacation? (I honestly say I'm never paid more money for sunscreen until this trip... which all leftovers were quickly discarded by the TSA workers when we were flying home. ugh.)

2 comments:

Katie said...

Gorgeous pictures!! And I LOVE subway's veggie sandwiches...always my favorite option when I'm there. Also, $10.59 for milk??! I would never.

Melissa said...

Thanks! :) I still can't believe they were charging that for a gallon of milk. It wasn't like it was organic, fresh from the farm or anything remotely close to being worth that much.

Post a Comment